DIY, Lifestyle

D I Y Mid Century Wall Shelving Unit

Location: h o m e

Space has always been an issue in this home. We have had so many pieces of furniture come and go in the short 2.5 years we have lived here. We buy a sofa or dresser we feel is small… but when we get it into these little rooms, they seem HUGE! I was searching for some small space inspiration because I wanted this little 14×14 room to be so many things! I wanted a desk area, a dining table and room for Ezzy to still be able to play with his toys. Impossible? I thought so…

So I started on Pinterest, of course, and came across a gorgeous wall unit on oldbrandnew.com by Dabito, an interior and graphic designer. I totally fell in love with his space, his eye for design and also his amazing mid century inspired wall unit he had put together. The one he made was a little larger but I felt it would be so perfect for our little room if we could scale it a little bit.

Next day, we took down all the measurements and headed to Home Depot for supplies. It wasn’t a hard process, but pretty time consuming.

We found all the wood in the store and had it cut there according to our measurements, picked out the hardware (again, according to our measurements), grabbed some walnut stain + gold metallic spray paint, wall anchors and that about did it!

Click here for under-shelf brackets.

Click here for upright brackets

Watch the video on my Instagram account to get a feel for how its done and I am sure you can do it too if you love it! 🙂 All in all, it can be done in one day if you paint/stain in the morning.

See the inspiration, one of my newest favorite blogs, and where we found the idea here!

Most knick knacks I already had around the house, but picked up a few new little things to fill the space. Check them out below! 🙂

S H O P   M Y   F A V O R I T E S

• Reply Peppermint Dolly

That looks absolutely fantastic! You guys did an incredible job!!

Rxx

September 12, 2016 at 1:10 am
  • Reply Angela

This room is gorgeous! I really can’t stand it. You did an amazing job! Can you come to my casa, pleeeaaase?

September 30, 2016 at 6:20 am
  • Reply Chelsea

I love your site + your style. I just started blogging within the last year and you’ve been an inspiration to me. You put out beautiful pictures + posts, I just love visiting your site!

October 4, 2016 at 12:47 pm
    • Reply Mary Lauren

Thanks so much for your sweet comment! I’ll be sure to check out your blog! 🙂

October 6, 2016 at 3:48 pm
  • Reply yaindy roque

This looks awesome and im actually thinking about doing that for our small living room. can you share the measurements? 🙂

October 9, 2016 at 9:39 am
  • Reply Robin Vengadasalam

This post is great! I know exactly how it is to deal with smaller spaces. Some time ago, my family and I decided to downsize and went from a 24,000 sq ft house to a 12,000 sq ft house! We literally had to sell every piece of furniture we owned and start over! Hard work but SO worth it! It’s mostly the small things that you hold closest to your heart. And those are easier to hang onto 🙂

October 11, 2016 at 1:59 am
  • Reply Kylie

Hi ML, LOVE this idea and totally going to do this in my new place. I was curious to know, do the shelves fall forward at all? Wondering in case of any curious toddlers (Im sure you can relate) or heavy planters etc. Will have to send pictures when its all completed!

December 1, 2016 at 12:00 pm
    • Reply Mary Lauren

You can secure the shelves with long screws on the bottom soo they won’t fall forward. 🙂

December 1, 2016 at 12:38 pm
    • Reply Mary Lauren

Can’t wait to see your version! Yes! Send photos! 🙂

December 1, 2016 at 12:38 pm
  • Reply Jana

This is such a great idea for a small space. Do you mind sharing where you find that adorable acrylic chair?

February 18, 2017 at 8:09 pm
    • Reply Mary Lauren

It’s from IKEA! We just spray painted the base gold. 🙂

March 2, 2017 at 10:07 pm
  • Reply Stacie markham

Omg…you are BRILLIANT! I wanted that same exact wall unit SO BADLY. But it was just too big for my living room…I love the way that you’ve scaled it down. And so now? I CAN HAVE IT! 🙂

April 28, 2017 at 10:38 am
  • Reply Stacie markham

Any chance you can post the link for the instructions?

May 6, 2017 at 12:06 pm
  • Reply Brenna Jorgensen

I am obsessed with this idea and want to do something similar in my bedroom. Can I ask how long each board is? Also, did you use any specific kind of screws for the upright tracks?

July 7, 2017 at 1:31 pm