Health + Beauty

Contouring with Maskcara Beauty

marylaurenI used to think that contouring was only for celebrities and profession make-up artists. But over the past few years it is becoming more mainstream and easier to achieve. (I have been sucked down the Instagram make-up video rabbit hole too many times… I have seen chests contoured, arms contoured, even feet. Seriously… WHY do you need contoured FEET? But its there if you want to find it.)

Even I, someone who is pretty low maintenance, canย contour as part of my daily make-up routine, adding dimension and depth to my face. And I just have to say it makes SUCH a difference… especially in photos. I put myself in front of the camera far too often. HA! But by using Maskcara’s contouring kit, I’m able to achieve that put together, high cheekbone look without too much fuss.
Maskcara Makeup

Maskcara makes the process so simple. When you visit their website, you are able to choose four shades to match your skin tone. They have a color finder section showing photos of real women to give you an idea of which color palette you would use. You can go with their prebuilt palettes or create one all your own with their custom palette option.
compacts 2

Their facial diagram is what helped me the most. Before using Maskcara, I had tinkered with contouring a bit with a grocery store contour stick which was basically a dark creme stick. I would apply under my cheekbones and that’s about it. But if you want to create that full 3d look, this diagram will help in achieving that look! Especially great for beginners.Maskcara Makeup

IMG_9964

They have so many gorgeous shades to choose from, you can’t really go wrong. In my tutorial video I was using:

1. Stone Contour
  2. White Peach Highlighter
  3. Pink Grapefruit Blush
  4. Pearl Illuminator

Along with my Maskcara custom palette, I used the Vanilla Dust Setting Powder…ย But I am also really loving the Baby Watermelon Blush, the Walnut Contour and the Rose Gold Illuminator.

Along side Maskara Beauty’s contour kit, I used: Benefit’s Brow Zingsย and Loreal Voluminous mascara. I’ve used this mascara forever… its awesome for mascara layering without clumping, making it look like you have more lashes than you do. ๐Ÿ™‚

And I just need to say… watching the video back, I am so monotone!! I promise I am happy. HA! It’s all business when it comes to this stuff, apparently. ๐Ÿ™‚

Get 10% off your purchase at Maskcara with code HEADEDSOMEWHERE!

• Reply Emma Ricupero

This was such a great video! I love seeing your makeup tutorials, you my dear are so beautiful and true! It was a great break for me just now as I’m job hunting online for freelance Graphic Design work and just put my 3 month old daughter to sleep. What kind of eye shadow do you use?
    Hope to hear from you soon and come visit you at your house ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜‰ haha jk

June 1, 2016 at 6:35 pm
    • Reply mary.l.johnson1@gmail.com

Thank you so much for your kind words and comment! I don’t use eye shadows, not sure why, just never really have. I just like using the highlighter under my eyebrow. But Cara, the founder of Maskcara, does a few amazing natural looking tutorials on her blog using shadows… you should definitely check out!

June 2, 2016 at 1:41 am
  • Reply Kristen

Hi Mary! Thanks for sharing this – it actually make contouring seem feasible! Question for you – what brushes are you using in the tutorial? If I purchase the kit, I want to make sure I have the right kind of brushes to achieve the look. Thanks!

June 1, 2016 at 8:14 pm
  • Reply Lindsay

ummm when did you become a makeup artist?? I need this kit and I need more of these tutorials. xo

June 1, 2016 at 11:15 pm
    • Reply mary.l.johnson1@gmail.com

Hardly a makeup artist. haha but you definitely need to try it! So good.

June 2, 2016 at 1:38 am
  • Reply Marcie

Would you say this is long wearing or not so much? I’m hesitant to bite the bullet with this makeup because I have oily skin:(

June 2, 2016 at 8:48 am
  • Reply cheryl

Hi. I’m Lauren’s mom. While I was visiting her we started playing around with this kit. We started with a before photo which was pretty scary. After applying and blending the contouring shades we took more photos. The transformation was shocking! I am 67 years old, so even “seniors” can contour and have fun with a new and improved look.

June 2, 2016 at 10:01 am
    • Reply mary.l.johnson1@gmail.com

I love this, Mom! Thanks! It’s so true though, it makes such a difference no matter your age!

June 2, 2016 at 1:25 pm
  • Reply Mindy

Please tell me about that clear lipstick you used.

June 12, 2016 at 9:25 pm
  • Reply Brianna

I want to know where your bra is from? ๐Ÿ™‚

June 15, 2016 at 10:48 am
    • Reply Mary Lauren

haha i got it in a little boutique but I’m pretty sure you can find something similar at target or forever 21. ๐Ÿ™‚

June 16, 2016 at 10:02 pm
  • Reply julie

so which do you prefer – stowaway or maskcara? They both look beautiful you
    thanks for your response. needing some new makeup

July 11, 2016 at 7:50 pm
  • Reply julie

which do you prefer – maskcara or stowaway cosmetics? they both look great on you. Looking for some new makeup. thanks for your info and opinions

July 11, 2016 at 9:15 pm
    • Reply Mary Lauren

Well… They are a bit different I think. I started using stowaway as an easy, on-the-go makeup kit. Maskcara is more a contouring kit. BUT when I saw how easy the application of contouring was, I started using every day.

So I guess the answer is a mix… I still love stowaway’s light foundation and concealer (the also just launched a great eyeshadow palette), and when I am wanting to contour and apply a bit more makeup, I use Maskcara.

July 20, 2016 at 9:00 pm
  • Reply Laurie Herzog

Love this demo! I’m 57 so I was curious how this works on a little older skin. After reading Cheryl’s comment it sounds like it was amazing. I was just worried if it emphasized wrinkles under your eyes??? (which is why I had to quit using Bare Minerals.)

January 21, 2017 at 12:32 pm