Travel

10 ways to TRAVEL CHEAP

I will tell you right now, I am no expert traveler. But after my husband got a job at the airline, we didn’t waste much time. In two years we have been able to travel to Thailand, New York, California, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Costa Rica and Canada, and both of us have, well, not so awesomely lucrative jobs. So here are some rules we stick to make it all possible!

1. Avoid Weekend Travel

Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, because they are the slowest travel days of the week, will be your best bet for cheap flights. Avoid the weekend rush and book mid-week flights.

2. Pack Light

So many airlines these days are charging $15 dollars or MORE for checked bags. Avoid these extra fees by packing light, is possible, don’t check a bag at all. I have become a believer of the carry on. Skip the checked back line and baggage claim. And never EVER pack more than 50 lbs. Your costs will skyrocket adding an additional $50-$60 to your trip!

3. VRBO, HomeAway, & AIRBNB

Stay away from hotels altogether if possible. They are usually way overpriced and for what?! A bed, bathroom, and if you’re lucky, a kitchenette, the same old scenery. Staying in a hotel will only add expense to your trip. Mix it up by opting for a home or apartment rented out by the owner. This way you can get a full home/apartment, choose how many bedrooms you’d like, and have a full kitchen (which I am suggesting you use J). Most of these owners treat their home as their business. You will not lack any of the amenities you would get from a hotel. www.vrbo.com, www.homeaway.com and www.airbnb.com are a few great websites to get started. And if you want to go REALLY cheap, airbnb offers room rentals where the owner will rent a room in the home/apartment for a fraction of the cost. Step out of the box!

4. Negotiate

On our last vacation to Costa Rica, we stayed in a beautiful 2 bedroom home, close to the beach, with all the amenities for dirt cheap! The price started at DOUBLE what we got it for because we were straight forward with the owner. We knew our budget and told him right away what we were looking for. He wrote back saying, “we love when people make us offers and are willing to work with you!” I have found that you should never take the listing price. Negotiation can save you hundreds of dollars. Owners will almost always choose to rent out their home at a fraction of their asking price than not at all.

5. Live Like a Local

When traveling, most people think that they need to eat out for every meal. And when staying in a hotel, do you have any other option?! Grocery Shopping will save you TONS of money, especially when splitting the bill. And don’t forget to buy SNACKS! Granola Bars, drinks, fruit, and veggies will curb the cravings when you are on the go. Pack little lunches and keep your bag stocked. This will help you deter from eating out while out n about.

6. Bring Friends

I know how hard it is to get a group of friends on a vacation. I have tried several times. But if you can swing it, do it. Splitting the car rental, house rental, and food will bring your costs down significantly. The more the merrier!

7. Tour Independently

Skip the tours. Especially if it is something you can see on your own. They are usually wayyy overpriced. (Yes, there are cases where tours are necessary. Ex: Riding elephants in Thailand, horses in Puerto Rico. I can see where tours could come in handy here.) But most tours are taking you to things you could do on your own. Be creative. Is it a jungle tour? Find neat off-the-beaten-path hikes and tour yourself. Museum? Read up on facts before you leave and share as you go. Be independent and don’t give in to the “this is the only way to see” scam.

8. Off Season

Most places you travel will have a time that is less busy. This is usually because the weather isn’t “ideal”. By traveling off-season, you will save hundreds of dollars. Your accommodations, car rental, admission fees, even souvenirs will be cheaper in the off-season.

9.  Rural Travel

Stay away from the “tourist trap” cities. If you choose accommodations that are a little out of the way you are sure to save a bundle! And this way, you are able to see how people really live and get the full experience.

10. Car Rental Insurance

In a few countries, car rental insurance is required, but not all. Make sure to check if it is required, because many car rental companies will tack it on to your bill when it is neither required, nor needed.  In many cases, your credit card company provides car insurance just by having their card. Call your credit card company and avoid paying for unnecessary coverage.

Happy Traveling!

• Reply lindsay Goldfine

Wow, I think you can officially call yourself “well travelled”. Woohoo!

November 29, 2012 at 11:19 am
  • Reply erin fonnesbeck

pinning this! need this for future travel!

November 29, 2012 at 11:38 am
  • Reply bellissimom

Yes, I love “live like a local” and second don’t travel on the weekends.

November 29, 2012 at 11:51 am
  • Reply CLJ

I especially love your colorful photo of Thiland! You have been able to take advantage of the airline perks, and in the process you have become very savvy about travel. Passing along your valuable tips to your readers is interesting AND appreciated.

November 29, 2012 at 12:21 pm
  • Reply CLJ

You are a good photographer, and writer. I love your blog.

November 29, 2012 at 5:06 pm
  • Reply Melvin Clifton

A very travel inspiring picture and great travel tips.

January 4, 2013 at 11:14 am
  • Reply Vicky

I am planning a trip to Costa Rica in March! Would you be able to give me the information for the home you stayed at? Thanks!

January 6, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Sure! We flew into Liberia Airport, the place we stayed was an hour from there. Most people fly into the larger airport in San Jose. But if you are flying into Liberia, I have lots of info for you! Contact me at mary.l.johnson1@gmail.com

January 7, 2013 at 6:01 am
      • Reply Amanda

I’d love any info you have about staying in Costa Rica!

March 31, 2013 at 2:50 pm
  • Reply Anine

Me and my family also stayed in camping villages and saved alot of money. In my country the travelagencies does not even know about them.
    This was so much fun and we also got to see places other tourist not often get to see.

January 8, 2013 at 4:56 am
  • Reply kelsey

A few friends and myself plan on starting to travel the world, not quite sure where, we’ve got some Ideas but were all new at this. I was wondering if you would have any tips on getting side jobs when traveling and what not. You can email me at KelseyALJulian@gmail.com. I would really appreciate the help !

January 17, 2013 at 3:30 pm
  • Reply daydreamcatcher

Reblogged this on daydreamcatcher and commented:
    With traveling on my mind this is perfect!

February 9, 2013 at 11:36 pm
  • Reply Oh, The Places You’ll Go | Miss Soucie

[…] and Pinterest specifically, provides never-ending resources for smart traveling tips and guides. This is a great resource for cheap travel tips that I found, making it easy to travel even on a tight […]

February 14, 2013 at 12:42 pm
  • Reply Jennifer

Great article! I think this is some of the best advice I have seen on traveling on a shoestring budget! It’s realistic and honest! Thanks for sharing and happy travels!

March 13, 2013 at 2:04 pm
  • Reply karen

also regarding car insurance, your own personal car insurance should cover you-be sure to call and find out ahead of time! or try to not drive at all-we found its more relaxing !!!

April 9, 2013 at 6:38 am
  • Reply Vicki @ Knocked Up & Abroad

Some fantastic advice here! Makes me want to get out and being adventurous again! 🙂

May 4, 2013 at 2:54 pm
  • Reply allison

I noticed you said you stayed at a home in Costa Rica….Do you remember where that was and how you found the house you stayed in?

May 8, 2013 at 2:06 pm

We stayed in Playa Grande and found our place on VRBO. There are several homes on VRBO that are listed in Playa Grande, and all over Costa Rica. It’s an awesome resource!

May 12, 2013 at 7:14 pm
  • Reply Cheap Students (@cheapstudents)

Thanks for the great tips. I’m trying to figure out some great ways to travel cheap after I graduate so I will definitely keep these in mind. Where in Canada did you vacation?

May 23, 2013 at 8:06 pm
  • Reply Smart Janitor

Could you please not use so many exclamation points? They make me panic!

June 11, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Sorry… I guess I just get really excited about traveling. (!!!!!!!)

June 11, 2013 at 6:25 pm
  • Reply Live out your dreams « Renaissance Men

[…] that all of this traveling costs money.  Unless you know how to travel as cheaply as possible.  Headed Somewhere tackled the issue and listed the top 10 ways to travel cheap.  Obviously, everyone knows that the […]

June 18, 2013 at 9:23 am
  • Reply Kristopher

Hello my family member! I want to say that this post is awesome, great written and include almost all important infos.
    I’d like to peer more posts like this .

June 25, 2013 at 4:00 pm
  • Reply S. Smith

I’d add skip cruises, at least in Alaska. The ports are all tee shirt and jewelry stores. Fly to Anchorage, rent a car and/or take local tours.

June 25, 2013 at 4:51 pm
  • Reply Leanne Opthoog

Great post, lots of excellent information and links, thanks for your effort :o)

July 9, 2013 at 11:40 am
  • Reply friday five {2} | about a girl.

[…] ^yay! travel is probably the best thing in the world so I’m always looking for ways to do it + to do it without breaking the bank! read this article- 10 ways to travel cheap^ […]

July 19, 2013 at 7:47 am
  • Reply 10 Techniques for Arranging Hotels

Ahaa, its pleasant discussion about this piece of writing here at this blog, I
    have read all that, so at this time me also commenting here.

July 25, 2013 at 1:20 pm
  • Reply tour

It’s an awesome article in favor of all the web people; they will take advantage from it I am sure.

July 29, 2013 at 4:07 am
  • Reply How to find Cheap Resorts throughout Spain's capital Online

You should take part in a contest for one of the finest
    blogs on the net. I am going to highly recommend this site!

August 6, 2013 at 6:08 am
  • Reply Affordable Resort Bargains - Find out good resort selling prices when arranging the proper reservations at the greatest resorts

Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I’m impressed! Very helpful info specifically the final section 🙂 I care for such information much. I was looking for this certain information for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

August 7, 2013 at 6:42 pm
  • Reply claire

I agree that traveling off season is key. Never go to Europe in the summer, go in the spring or fall. However, some places have extreme weather that would make traveling during certain times of year. We visited Samoa recently, and in their rainy season you might see 80 inches of rain in one month. You wouldn’t hardly be able to leave your accommodation and lots of bridges and roads would be flooded.

As long as the weather is doable, even if it’s not ideal, travel off season. But always do your research before you book your flight!

August 20, 2013 at 9:32 am
  • Reply perfumes24h.wordpress.com

What’s Going down i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I have
    discovered It positively useful and it has aided me out loads.
    I am hoping to contribute & aid different users like its aided me.
    Great job.

September 2, 2013 at 5:28 pm
  • Reply Lucie

Some neat advice here 🙂 I’m heading to Costa Rica in February, so I’ve appreciated your tip about that destination.

Regarding the car insurance: steer clear of the insurance “extras”, but I would strongly suggest that you get the overall coverage that ensures that you’re not liable in case of damage (or at least that you’re only liable up to a certain sum), theft or such. Otherwise your trip can get pretty expensive pretty fast – I’m talking about renting cars in Europe in particular, where the insurance policies are slightly different than in the US (as far as I know, in the US, car insurance is tied to a “person”, while in Europe it’s tied to the car), so your personal insurance or credit card insurance mostly doesn’t apply when you rent a car. Also, the basic overall insurance covers you if you are in an accident and somebody gets injured – if you’re traveling without insurance, you might end up having to send money to the injured person for the rest of their life. It’s better to be safe than sorry.

As for jungle tours – here I definitely would recommend hiring a guide, unless it’s a jungle with clearly designated, signposted paths. Otherwise, you could end up lost in the middle of a jungle with no idea how to find your way back.

And one more piece of advice: From experience, I know that it can help save quite a bit of money on activities (diving, museums, tours etc.) when you book online in advance – this applies in almost all countries in the world. If you’re not on a completely loose schedule, this will help you structure your trip and save you some money. Also, tains in Europe (e.g. Germany, Austria) have limited numbers of cheaper tickets (50% less or even more) that you can buy in advance, or even special online offers.

Happy travelling. 🙂

September 12, 2013 at 3:19 am
  • Reply Kathaleen

I am actually happy to rerad thiss blog posts which carries tons of useful information, thanks
    for providing such data.

October 6, 2013 at 10:15 pm
  • Reply 10 ways to TRAVEL CHEAP | Israel and You

[…] By Mary Lauren in Headed Somewhere […]

October 17, 2013 at 12:35 am
  • Reply bag

You’ve made some good points there. I checked on the net to learn more
    about the issue and found most people will
    go along with your views on this web site.

October 18, 2013 at 7:01 am
  • Reply crisisdelosveintitrés

I’m from Puerto Rico and I’m reading this hahaha thanks for the advices and I hope you liked the island. I want to go to Costa Rica and Thailand so much.

October 18, 2013 at 10:27 am
  • Reply Geoff Silve

Headed somewhere indeed! I wish more people knew these brilliant ways to keep travel affordable. Everyone should be able to if they want to….

I actually found my own way through similar techniques. I used http://ineedtotravel.org/ to trade living spaces with people for free, and I got absurd airfare around the world thanks to http://anyonecantravel.com/

November 1, 2013 at 3:38 am
  • Reply Reneé Stephanie

Reblogged this on Renée Stephanie.

November 1, 2013 at 9:56 am
  • Reply page

With blogs like this around I don’t even need website anymore.

I can just visit here and see all the latest happenings in the world.

November 8, 2013 at 4:48 am
  • Reply Green

Also I’ll recommend you to use roaming simcard instead of your regular ones, it is much much cheaper! I used TravelSim and it was great

November 12, 2013 at 9:35 am
  • Reply Dejan

Hi, pls check our site, i think could be intersting for your readers.

November 22, 2013 at 10:59 am
  • Reply Michael Z. McWilliams

I am sure this paragraph has touched all the internet users, its really really pleasant article on building up new blog.

December 18, 2013 at 5:41 am
  • Reply Karla Solis

Great article lots of useful tips I will use in the near future. Except one thing “Is it a jungle tour? Find neat off-the-beaten-path hikes and tour yourself.” If its a jungle I will never go on my own and away from the path into the claws of a panther. This was a great laugh. Thanks!

January 15, 2014 at 10:04 pm
  • Reply meemi.com

Women could get away with being a little more adventurous, but remember that your watch’s colour must always compliment your outfit, not draw attention
    away it. The wrist-strap is also pretty comfortable due
    towards the resin based material it can be made from.
    The new model include much like the Tough Solar power source and digital compass.

January 16, 2014 at 7:56 am
  • Reply Dexterbell

I want to thanks you as you had shared very valuable tips for hiring cheap vehicles and these ideas are very beneficial to me when i will plan for my next tour in near future, THANKS!

January 16, 2014 at 3:10 pm
  • Reply Bernarda

Very good guide for travel cheap, very userful information for me, keep up the excellent work. It has a really excellent content and your comments are quite accurate.

January 23, 2014 at 10:35 am
  • Reply melbasunshine

Awesome advice and photo in this post, just discovered your blog through Pinterest, it’s fabulous!

January 26, 2014 at 6:12 am
  • Reply telecharger minecraft

Howdy! Do you use Twitter? I’d ike to follow you if that would be okay.
    I’m undoubtedly enjoting your blog and look forward to nnew updates.

January 31, 2014 at 1:58 am
  • Reply lindseycork

Reblogged this on Life of Lindsey.

February 10, 2014 at 9:32 am
  • Reply Bookmark Worthy | Poor Girl, Rich Life

[…] 10 Ways to Travel Cheap / As you know I am broke and I love to travel – not a good combination. This post definitely helps with that problem. […]

March 20, 2014 at 4:08 am
  • Reply Shane

These tips are amazing! We used AirBnB last weekend for our trip to Niagara last weekend, it worked wonders!

June 30, 2014 at 6:55 am
  • Reply natalietanner

Marvelous tips! May I suggest Rick Steve’s books, too. No matter where we travel I check out his books first. Your ideas are wonderful! We’ve used VRBO in Europe and have always enjoyed the experience. Going to the grocery to find things to cook for dinner is a GREAT experience. We learned in Italy, though, that what looks like spaghetti sauce in the jar is only tomato sauce (with NO seasonings). That was an interesting meal and a great memory!!

If you travels include children, visit http://www.theeducationaltourist.com for tips on packing light and traveling with kids. My $3 downloads keep kids engaged in countries like Spain and France and in world class museums like The Louvre, The Prado, and The Galleria Borghese AND they serve as cliff notes for adults!

I love your travel tips and am going to link to a post on my blog where I write about traveling with kids. I would love a shout out from you!

Thanks,
    Natalie, The Educational Tourist

July 26, 2014 at 1:20 pm
  • Reply With all my art

Reblogged this on With All My Art and commented:
    Being a travel agent this helps in advising clients. But then you find the best offers that we have fall during the weekend. Either way,this is worth sharing.

September 2, 2014 at 2:29 am
  • Reply Amelia

Great advice…thank you for sharing! Tips like these allow for more people to understand that travel is possible for them! Great job!

September 29, 2014 at 11:36 am
  • Reply PaigeBrown

These are great, easy tips! I’m always looking for ways to expand my travel budget! I truly realized how expensive traveling with a tour company is this year… I think I took my last tour. Thanks for sharing your tips! Cheers!

October 19, 2014 at 3:57 pm
  • Reply Friday Favorites | The Wandering Home

[…] 10 Ways to Travel Cheap via Head Somewhere […]

October 24, 2014 at 6:06 am
  • Reply 10 Ways To Travel Cheaply | DORAL 360

[…] Via Head Somewhere […]

November 19, 2014 at 8:25 pm
  • Reply Catie M.

Reblogged this on As told by CatMan, The Rose Bandit and commented:
    Awesome ideas here, do you agree?

January 30, 2015 at 10:02 am
  • Reply Missi

Great tips! Definitely a great way to travel!

March 6, 2015 at 12:13 am
  • Reply Steph of Big World Small Pockets

Some nice, neat tips here – couldn’t agree more with the grocery shopping recommendations and avoiding tours – so often you can get the same sights or eat just as well doing things yourself

March 22, 2015 at 5:28 am