be happier in your home

Found this list on apartmenttherapy.com and was inspired! Hopefully it will inspire you t00!

1. Make your bed.

The book The Happiness Project, explains that this three minute task is one of the simplest habits you can adopt to positively impact your happiness.

HeadedSomewhere.com

2. Bring every room back to “ready.”

I learned this trick from Marilyn Paul’s clever book, It’s Hard to Make a Difference When You Can’t Find Your Keys. It’s a known fact: Clutter causes stress; order creates a haven from it. This mood-boosting routine is simple: Take about three minutes to bring each room back to “ready” before you depart it. (Unless you have a toddler, or a partner who likes to simulate earthquakes, three minutes should be sufficient.)

3. Display sentimental items around your home.

One reason that experiences (and memories of those experiences) make us happier than material things is due to the entire cycle of enjoyment that experiences provide: planning the experience, looking forward to the experience, enjoying the experience, and then remembering the experience. Make your home a gallery of positive memories.

HeadedSomewhere.com

4. Start a one-line-a-day gratitude journal.

Before bed, simply jot down one happy memory from that day. (If you have kids, you can ask them, “What was the best part of today?”) Reflection is an important part of happiness, and pausing to reflect on a positive event from each day cultivates gratitude. (An added bonus: Later, when your memory is defunct, you will already have all of your meaningful adventures recorded!) If you have trouble getting started with journaling, consider buying a book to guide you. Simple Abundance, by Sarah Ban Breathnach, is a great one.

5. If you can’t get out of it, get into it.

This tip comes from The Happiness Project. I love the message: The dishes are not going to clean themselves, so you will do it, and you will like it! (Unless, of course, you can outsource this job, in which case I say: Nice work!) Otherwise, get into doing the dishes. Feel the soothing warm water on your hands. Enjoy the tickle of the tiny bubbles. Crank your favorite album at an unusually loud volume, do a couple fist-pumps while shouting “Can I get a hell yeah for the dishes? Hell! Yeah!” and pretend you love it.

6. Before you get up each morning, set an intent for the day.

In The Art of Happiness, the Dali Lama says “”Every day, think as you wake up: today I am fortunate to be alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it.” Wow. What a wise man. I tend to wake up with a strong visceral reaction that says, “Attention human beings: Be afraid of me before coffee. Be very afraid!” Setting a daily intent makes a huge difference. Your daily intent could be something like “be productive” or “enjoy today’s delicious moments” or it could be something more specific like “say thank you to my loved ones today.” But it should not be another “to do” item on your list.

7. Do small favors for your housemates, expecting nothing in return (not even a thank you!).

(That’s right, I said it: nothing!) Mow the lawn for your husband, but don’t expect him to pat you on the back. Make the bed for your wife, but don’t try to get bonus points for it. Take the trash out for your roommate, just because. The ability to cultivate strong, healthy relationships is one of the biggest contributors to health and happiness, but when you start to keep score, the benefit is lost. (No! It’s YOUR turn to clean up the dog poop!) It’s a well-known fact: When you do good, you feel good.

HeadedSomewhere.com

8. Call at least one friend or family member a day.

You can do this while you clean, while you make the bed, or while you walk the dog. Texts and emails do not count! Make an actual phone call to a loved one, just to chat and catch up. We humans are social beings and studies show that even when we don’t feel like it, even if we are naturally introverted, socializing with our loved ones makes us feel better.

9. Spend money on things that cultivate experiences at home.

Save money for a new grill for parties or a new DVD for family movie night — something that will encourage you to have people over and entertain. Plan a summer barbeque, invite your closest friends, kick back and relax. (And don’t forget to print out the pictures to remember the good times.)

10. Spend a few minutes each day connecting with something greater than yourself.

Whatever your spiritual beliefs — or non-beliefs — may be, studies show that connecting to a high power is correlated with happiness. Just stepping back to realize that we are part of an enormous universe can put some perspective on your annoyance with the those-are-definitely-not-mine-and-they-are-abso-fricking-lutely-repulsive socks under the coffee table. Before bed, spend just a few minutes contemplating something larger than yourself. Take a walk in nature. Write in a journal. Create a sacred space in your home. (Or if spirituality is really not your thing, create a home spa: light some candles, soak in a hot bath, delve into a good book… are you feeling better yet?)

_____________________________________________________________________________

I have heard a lot about of good things about the book The Happiness Project. I think maybe I should pick it up!

from: Apartment Therapy

YOU MAY ALSO L O V E:

photo   Screen shot 2013-06-21 at 6.23.50 PM

1. Ember
    October 12, 2012 / 8:50 pm

My Mom always taught me to make my bed above everything else in the morning, so I am still an obedient daughter and that is exactly what I do! I may not brush my teeth or wash my face for hours if I don’t need to, but that bed is made!!!!!
    I am reading The Happiness Project although not very many pages yet! I am not a good reader as I fall asleep so fast I never get finished. I prefer books on tape.

• December 7, 2015 / 9:08 pm

I prefer books on tape too!

• Anonymous
      January 30, 2016 / 9:19 pm

T ry reading in the day and see if that works, maybe after a cup of ☕.

2. October 12, 2012 / 9:44 pm

Ok, what is this Happiness Project book? I think I need it! I’ll put it on my long, always never-ending Target list.

So….. you did number 8 today! Good girl! The girls LOVED talking to you, even though they were so busy flitting around, you probably didn’t see much more than a blur.

And by the way, if I had a bedroom like this, I would be happy forever pretty much. That’s all it would take.

And the making the bed thing…. hmmmmm… I’ve never been good at this, ever. Mom, you can chime in with your agreement, if you’d like. But I know how amazing it feels when it’s done. But I did hear (from Mom) that if you make your bed too fast after getting out of it in the mornings, bedbugs reside in the warmth so make sure to leave your covers off for a while before making it. This is really funny, I know, but Mom has me paranoid about this now. 🙂

• October 12, 2012 / 9:58 pm

Hmm… Sounds like a good reason to me to NOT make the bed!! That’s so scary and gross!!! Eeek!!

• December 4, 2012 / 1:54 pm

Good on your mum. I do it too, always pull covers right back, even if only for a short while. Even better if windows opened (summer and winter). Then just get showered or have breakfast, by which time the bed will be well aired and ready to be made with hopefully not too many bed bugs. I too get a bit paranoid about doing it and actually feel quite tense if my husband makes the bed before I’ve had chance to air it.

• Pauly
      February 2, 2016 / 7:36 pm

wash sheets, flip and vacuum matress weekly…..nothing better that getting into fresh laundered sheets especially if they’ve been hanging out in the sun !!! Perfection ; )

• bea
        October 1, 2016 / 10:37 am

Perfect!

3. Mom
    October 12, 2012 / 11:34 pm

Did I really say the above? Dr. Oz must have told me that. CRAZY. That aside, I am so impressed with “The Happiness Project.”

4. brittany
    October 14, 2012 / 1:57 pm

I agree with the bed making thing. If I can make the bed, then my stress level goes way down. I don’t know why that is…

• Wendie
      January 2, 2013 / 7:36 pm

I once had a friend tell me that depression is feeling like your life is out of control. By making the bed (preferably even before going to the bathroom) you have taken control of your life in a small way. Like a pebble in a pond, making your bed can reap wonderful ripples.

5. Lindsay Goldfine
    October 16, 2012 / 2:52 pm

Me too on the bed thing!!! Sisters . .
    I am learning so much from your blog!

6. Lyndsaykc
    October 19, 2012 / 6:12 pm

I love this list and plan to implement some things into my day. A friend told me a proverb that has since stuck with me- “Messy bed, messy head”. I love a made bed, the bigger the pillows the better!

7. October 20, 2012 / 8:48 am

Great list! Someone pinned it, and I found your blog. The Happiness Project and Happier at Home (both by Gretchin Rubin) are great books I would highly recommend.

8. Denise
    October 20, 2012 / 7:51 pm

Love this post! The Happiness Project is a terrific book.

9. October 20, 2012 / 9:01 pm

Just like the previous poster, I found your blog on Pinterest. Love it, and I’m now following. Great tips!

10. Eva
    October 20, 2012 / 10:35 pm

This is lovely- cannot wait to apply some of these that I don’t do often enough! Thank you:)

11. October 21, 2012 / 8:52 am

Love this,we already kind of know this in someway but forget it and wallow in negativity,a bit of work,but well worth it! Thanks

12. October 21, 2012 / 9:15 pm

Thanks for creating and sharing this list. While all these things make sense, I hadn’t thought of combing them all in one day. I definitely want to take a look at the book, too!

13. October 22, 2012 / 1:34 pm

I do about three things on this list, now I know I got issues but that last one, “Spend a few minutes each day connecting with something greater than yourself.” does the internet count! 🙂

14. Ikasha
    October 22, 2012 / 6:12 pm

I read The Happiness Project two years ago, and have bought several copies after to give to friends and family. Loved the book, loved your blog!

• October 22, 2012 / 10:52 pm

Thank you! I will definitely pick it up! Maybe it will also be my new go-to for gift giving! 🙂

Thanks!

15. October 23, 2012 / 4:19 pm

I am not good at many things the least of all cleaning,but I do make the beds everyday and it feels good to know that my husband and I can crawl into a neat and inviting bed at night.
    I think my friend needs to read this book as well as myself.

16. October 24, 2012 / 3:31 am

I think this a wonderful post. I am going to see if I can order The Happiness project on my Kindle so I can read it rigt away. Thank you for taking the time to tell us how to be happier in our home. fortunately my relationships are good, but there personal things I need to work on. Thanks again.

• October 24, 2012 / 2:31 pm

Hi! I am glad you liked the post! I am just starting to read this book to! I am excited about it! The Author of ApartmentTherapy.com put the list together but I found it very inspirational! Thank you for reading!

17. Lisa Greenwalt
    October 24, 2012 / 11:23 pm

Thank you for the 10 steps. They are very encouraging. I ready to share them with my family, & for all of us to get started.

18. Amanda Nigbur
    October 26, 2012 / 12:34 am

This is going to be weird… but where do you find those curtain canopies for the bed? I love that! Very great blog, and I will be getting me that book also.

19. Siema
    October 29, 2012 / 7:23 am

Unmade beds make me happy.

• Anonymous
      October 20, 2015 / 11:54 pm

Me too!

20. ddfatic
    October 29, 2012 / 11:47 am

I love to slather on a thick layer of hand lotion and put on rubber dishwashing gloves in order to wash the dishes. The hotter the water, the better the lotion gets into your hands. My hands always feel really soft after washing the dishes.

• Jean
      June 15, 2015 / 3:44 pm

I like doing the dishes in tolerably hot water. It helps my arthritic hands feel so much better!! I agree that the list is full of encouraging ideas which I intend to implement into my daily life.

21. October 30, 2012 / 3:36 pm

Reblogged this on What I've learned along the way… and commented:
    I am all about positive thinking. What you think about you bring about. I always look for the good in people and situations. I nodded my head yes for every one of these points.

22. Kara
    October 30, 2012 / 9:34 pm

Thank you so much for posting this list. I loved reading it, and will definitely incorporate these things in my life. It’s just what I needed!

23. potion
    November 4, 2012 / 6:56 am

Its not bedbugs that live in the bed, its bacteria. so you actually should let your bed COOL itself of your body heat for an hour or so after you get out. So bacteria doesnt grow in the warm darkkness betsween the blankies.

• November 13, 2012 / 2:25 pm

Yes! And to let humidity evaporate. At night, you sweat and if you make your bed immediately, it can’t get out.

• November 27, 2012 / 1:34 pm

Agreed. Changing sheets/pillowcases regularly is so much more important to me than whether or not the blanket is pulled up neatly.

24. Cyndi Jett
    November 8, 2012 / 1:28 pm

This is so true…I’ve allways been inspired to build my santuary, my home, as my happy place to allways come home to ! So when I come home to a pretty bed, and things in their place, it also makes me happy. I also journal every morning, it keeps my focus on GOD and the gratitude I have for the small things in my life today !!!

25. November 10, 2012 / 6:55 pm

Great article. Thank you for the fantastic tips and reminders!

26. Cathy Timson
    November 16, 2012 / 10:36 pm

We do need to be reminded every now and again how such simple and small things can give us so much pleasure, and leave us with that warm, toasty feeling…

27. November 16, 2012 / 11:56 pm

Love this! I just wish a magic fairy would get my home back to “ready” for me. I guess I will be that magic fairy and I will like being that magic fairy!

• Denise
      November 17, 2012 / 1:53 pm

If you need help getting started, go to Flylady.com/ she can help you get back to ready! 🙂

28. November 27, 2012 / 1:32 pm

I mostly agree although a made bed is not something I care about. I have a child with special needs who can’t help clean, a toddler who is an absolute destructive nonstop terror, a very messy spouse who works long hours and I am exhausted BUT BUT BUT- we are not going to live in squalor, we are not going to fight about housework all the time, and YES it is key to grasp and believe that the house is not going to clean itself. It’s not. You must clean it. I like the ipad for this, either Pandora quick mix or a tv series on netflix that doesn’t require constant visual attention and just do it. When the microwave is on, empty or load dishwasher. When waiting for water to boil, clean counters and sweep- the idea is, you’re already in the kitchen, don’t leave without improving it. It really just takes a few minutes. Make your body clean even when your mind doesn’t want to. Discipline yourself, “You don’t have to want to do it, but you have to do it anyway, you’re a grown up!” Never sit while talking on the phone. It’s exercise if you do it fast! lol

• November 27, 2012 / 3:20 pm

I love this comment! How many times have I sat and watched, waiting for water to boil?! It’s embarrassing how lazy I am sometimes. It sounds like you have your hands full! If you can do it with everyone else you are taking care of, I most certainly can too. 🙂 Thank you for your comment and the motivation!

• Tobhiyah
      November 24, 2013 / 7:45 am

Sounds like we have the same lives…except the toddler! I do the same exact thing; even if the microwave is only on for two minutes I’ll “race” myself to see how much I can clean before it goes off. Same thing during a commercial or if I’m already in the bathroom, might as well clean the sink & counter while I’m there since I don’t make time to spend hours cleaning the house.

29. November 29, 2012 / 11:00 am

I try to make my bed every morning but the cats always get there first 🙂

30. December 2, 2012 / 6:54 am

Wonderful post! A great reminder that our surroundings affect us, sometimes more than we realize. And simple ways to make sure that the effect is positive.

31. Leah H
    December 4, 2012 / 7:44 am

Reblogged this on Little Miss Ramble and commented:
    I can’t recommend Gretchen Rubin’s book “The Happiness Project” enough. I haven’t gotten a chance to read “Happier at Home” yet, but I’m off to Amazon now! It’s one of those books worth having in hard copy so you can mark it and make notes and reflect on what you’re reading right in the pages– my Nook doesn’t make that quite as visual as it could.

32. C-C
    December 4, 2012 / 8:36 am

“…your annoyance with the those-are-definitely-not-mine-and-they-are-abso-fricking-lutely-repulsive socks under the coffee table…”
    Hahaha, this is where socks end up all the time at our house! Daddy’s and baby’s!
    Great article on putting life into perspective.

33. December 14, 2012 / 7:11 am

Hi! I keep a gratitude forum at http://www.reyofgratitude.com where I post gratitudes each day. I would love to have you join me and post your own gratitudes!!! It is also a great alternative for those not wanting to create their own online journal. Have a beautiful day!

34. December 19, 2012 / 4:24 pm

This list is amazing! I’m glad you shared it. I need to read the happiness Project too! the part about not talking to me before coffee is so me! I should start by trying to make my bed each morning, that’s easy enough.

35. CDB
    December 20, 2012 / 8:20 am

The Happiness Project was a good book with helpful ideas on changing your life to increase your happiness but I think that you have created an excellent, managable list for all of us to begin with for positive change. And each of us should remember that the ideas for increasing happiness are only suggestions. If you honestly give them a try and they don’t work for you then don’t do them. You can’t eliminate all stress from your life and even if you could then won’t life become mundane. So manage the stress by finding what works for you and the rest just either accept it with a smile or let it go.

36. thecamoqueen
    December 20, 2012 / 10:49 am

These are amazing points! I am going to start them with the start of a New Year (and my bday!). My boyfriend is usually the one that makes the bed, does the dishes, takes out the trash when he visits and doesn’t expect anything in return! What a gem!

37. December 21, 2012 / 10:23 am

Reblogged this on The House That Wisdom Built and commented:
    Ran across this list this morning by tracking a thread through Pinterest. Just beginning to realize the wealth of tools hidden within this social site! It was too good not to share and went so well with the goals of this blog, for myself and my readers!

38. Charlotte
    December 28, 2012 / 12:20 pm

Just saw this…..what a great reminder. Thank you for sharing.

39. December 28, 2012 / 3:20 pm

I love this list!! Consider me a new fan 😉

40. Wendy
    January 8, 2013 / 8:24 am

Just wanted to thank you, this is a great list we all need little pick me ups now and then and
    this is a great one. A clean home makes me happy even though its not always clean, even though I enjoy cleaning. Recently unemployed I am reading more, decluttering and purging the things that are no longer needed. Thank you for the list and the book recommendations, I will definitely read them.

41. January 10, 2013 / 12:59 pm

I really, really love this- I’m going to start implementing a bunch of these ideas in my home TODAY! Here’s to happier living!

42. Kathy Martin
    January 13, 2013 / 12:34 pm

Excited to try your Ultimate Chocolate cake recipe…I could only find a box of pudding in the 5 oz. size or the 3.9 oz. size. Do I need 5.9 oz.? Thanks!

• January 14, 2013 / 9:53 am

hm… good question. Jell-o makes a 5.9 oz pack. But I think if you use the 5 oz pack you should be fine. Here is the trick though. Make sure you don’t mix in the chocolate chips with the rest of the batter. Put the batter into your bundt cake pan, then add the chocolate chips on top, pressing them into the batter with a spoon. I made it once and all the chips fell to the bottom of the pan and make it really difficult to get out. Hope this helps! 🙂

43. Donna
    January 14, 2013 / 9:43 am

I love these ideas. Some of them I already do but am definitely going to do more of them.

44. January 21, 2013 / 3:21 am

I have hubby who who likes to simulate earthquakes at garbage, 3 dogs and cat. Every day I dreaming about clean organazed home but seem like mission impossible =(

45. Carol
    January 22, 2013 / 5:25 am

How about thanking the creator Jehovah God for another day of Life!

46. Tana
    January 22, 2013 / 6:28 pm

Does anyone have any idea where the curtains in the picture are from? OMG! They’re so beautiful! Thanks!

• Guest
      February 22, 2013 / 3:09 pm

Kid interiør.
      The picture is from: lindevegen.no

• Pamela
      August 28, 2013 / 3:46 pm

They have them in the shower isle at K-Mart

47. January 26, 2013 / 7:02 am

I love this! It’s so simple and true. What a great reminder…thanks for sharing! 🙂

48. February 3, 2013 / 8:47 pm

I love these tips 🙂 Making my bed always makes me feel better

• pamelann18
      May 10, 2013 / 4:14 pm

Yeah, my boyfriend never understands why im so cranky until my bed is.fixed.

• GigiP
      February 16, 2013 / 11:17 am

I’m sorry, I went to the site and couldn’t find the dalai lama saying you mentioned. Would you be kind enough to put it here?

• peach33
        March 4, 2013 / 7:43 pm

49. N. garcia
    February 8, 2013 / 7:18 pm

Moving to another state in a month, looking for a less stress free life… I love your list and will pin and put into action a soon as I unpack at our new home. I already do some of the things on the list but need to start on others. 🙂 like calling one person a day, I hate phones. Lol

50. Cori
    February 9, 2013 / 1:30 pm

I love reminders which encourage me to nest in my home.

51. February 11, 2013 / 11:50 am

I think these are all wonderful tips. Thank you so much for taking the time to share them. I find it fascinating that many of these suggestions resonate quite strongly with ancient yogic self-observance principles, the Yamas and Niyamas. For instance, when seen from a Yogic perspective the first two tips about keeping our homes tidy are about practicing, Soucha, or cleanliness; When we are free from clutter, we are also free from many of the distractions that can keep us from accessing and acting from our highest, most pure, and productive selves. Tip number four, the gratitude journal, is an exercise in helping us to cultivate Samtosa — contentment in all things, for everything we will ever need we already have. The trick is, we must practice gratitude and contentment in order to experience this fullness — the suggestion of keeping the journal in this tip can help us to do just that! Tip number 5 is about “getting into” evening the most tedious of tasks. While this is not so much a self-observance principle, this tip is much like one of the eight limbs of yoga, Samadhi, or complete absorption into the present focus of the mind. We all know that feeling when time stops and we feel fully alive and integrated into whatever it we we are doing. Why not live life like this all time, even if we are just doing dishes!? Finally, The last tip, spending time to cultivate a relationship with a higher power, is remarkably similar to the principle of Īśvara-pranidhāna, or dedication and surrender to spirit. When we recognize that our participation in the world is well connected and integrated into a larger, evolutionary human path, our lives take on a sense of significance that represents an awe-some blend of confident wisdom without ego, and compassionate humility without self-doubt. By taking time to connect with this idea, we can direct our actions in a way that is most productive for others, and rewarding for ourselves. Just some thoughts from a CrossFitting Yogi. Read more ideas at HolisticFitnessProject.com

52. February 11, 2013 / 12:05 pm

Reblogged this on The Holistic Fitness Project and commented:
    I came across this inspiring post about bringing happiness into our homes while taking a Facebook break this afternoon. I was struck by how many similarities there were between the tips provided and ancient Yogic principles. It seems more and more that conventional wisdom and even scientific discoveries are providing evidence for the truths that the Yogis understood intuitively eons ago. Reading through these tips was a helpful reminder to integrate the attitudes, habits, and efforts we cultivate in Yoga to our everyday lives.

Many of the the tips found in this blog resonated strongly with the Yamas and Niyamas, or Yogic self-observance principles. For instance, when seen from a Yogic perspective, the first two tips about keeping our homes tidy are about practicing, Soucha, or cleanliness; When we are free from clutter, we are also free from many of the distractions that can keep us from accessing and acting from our highest, most pure, and productive selves.

Tip number 5 is about “getting into” even the most tedious of tasks. While this is not so much a self-observance principle, this tip is much like one of the eight limbs of yoga, Samadhi, or complete absorption into the present focus of the mind. We all know that feeling when time stops and we feel fully alive and integrated into whatever it we we are doing. Why not live life like this all time, even if we are just doing dishes!?

Finally, The last tip, spending time to cultivate a relationship with a higher power, is remarkably similar to the principle of Īśvara-pranidhāna, or dedication and surrender to spirit. When we recognize that our participation in the world is well connected and integrated into a larger, evolutionary human path (which does not necessarily require a belief in spirit), our lives take on a sense of significance that represents an awe-some blend of confident wisdom without ego, and compassionate humility without self-doubt. By taking time to connect with this idea, we can direct our actions in a way that is most productive for others, and rewarding for ourselves.

Just some thoughts from a CrossFitting Yogi. Hope you enjoy HeadedSomwhere’s post, and my reflections upon it!

Kari

53. February 19, 2013 / 3:22 pm

Wow. It was just what I needed to read. Love these tips. Thank you so much for sharing. I am going to buy this book 🙂

54. Lavonne
    March 10, 2013 / 3:24 am

Great tips! As I became confined from illness and couldn’t do even the slightest chore, my thoughts overflowed into the financial achievements I still had not acquired and probably never would. My future became grim as I recognized I would never complete an addition to our house and purchase the vacation property we dreamed of, nor would I be able to save enough money to afford us the kind of retirement we hoped to have. The reality was that I may never hold a job again. Then as clearly as if someone was standing behind me, I heard a voice say: “…but you have everything you want. It is just on a smaller scale.” (No, I am not schizophrenic.) I don’t know who/what spoke to me as I was spiraling downward in self doubt. He/she gave me the reason to question whether having more is necessarily better, especially in a market-driven world that puts all value in accumulating things. i do know that the voice I heard took me off guard, causing me stop, step back and evaluate the part of my life I had become too busy to think about. It made me wonder why I was blown so far off course of treasuring my family’s happiness first. When did I start placing so much stock in financial achievements and acquiring things when, in fact, I had more than enough tangible things than I would ever need to sustain us. With reflection, I realize that I never really stopped nurturing my spiritual assets: I have a wonderful, hard-working faithful husband that I love more than I did when I married him 38 years and two daughters ago. I am proud of my daughters and the men they married to share in every aspect of their lives. I always thought gaining anything above the health and happiness of my family was merely incidental. But how easily we can get caught up in the whirlwind of life and all that entails. I want to read the Happiness Book, for everyone needs to enrich themselves spiritually. It is rare for anyone to feel they are truly happy these days, but if anyone achieves happiness, I want it for myself and I want it for my family. Thank you for this blog to remind me that even happiness takes work. And for those who think it shouldn’t, well…I think they need some quiet time. Perhaps their inner spirit will speak to them.

• March 11, 2013 / 12:56 am

I am so in love with this comment; I sent it to my family tonight for a little uplift. Thank you so much for your beautiful honesty. I appreciate it more than you know.

• Misty
        September 23, 2013 / 11:01 am

This is a beautiful comment, Lavonne!!!!! (just stumbling across this blog now)

• Janis Fisher
      March 22, 2013 / 9:45 am

I loved this. It was so true and reassuring. Put me in perspective.

• marykk
      July 11, 2013 / 8:02 pm

I needed a soft kick in the butt. I’m recovering from my 2nd surgery in three weeks. I’m not allowed to do much yet. Lavonne, I was moved by your words. I too need to change my way of thinking. I also have a great family and a very loving, kind, & compassionate husband who gets me better than I do.

• November 25, 2013 / 3:09 am

What a jewel to find this a.m.! And Lavonne, your comment, straight from the heart, just iced the cake! May God bless each of you who have added your thoughts here. I hope you have the most wonderful and meaningful Thanksgiving ever! And remember, that the gift to be most thankful for is a thankful heart. Amen! xoxoxo

55. March 12, 2013 / 9:57 pm

Reblogged this on Ms. Parkerazzi and commented:
    I did enjoy this article. Very great points on how to be happier and spread happiness. I need to get the Happiness Project.

56. March 22, 2013 / 7:57 am

Reblogged this on The Adventurous Me and commented:
    When I read this I couldn’t help but share it. These tips are increbile and I am going to start incorporating them into my life every day. We only get one life in this world and I want mine to be as happy as it can be.

57. March 24, 2013 / 11:01 am

Beautifully written! I love your post and easy for even the most unorganized to hopefully get order in their life. We live a life very similar to the one you have written about, but while reading I am noting that it is easy to sway away and I thank you for getting me back on track and remembering how life can become crazy and chaotic if we let it or so simple and blissful we just have to take a deep breath and just breathe.

58. Mary
    March 25, 2013 / 3:28 pm

We just moved from our “home” into a temporary, much larger home…even though we longed for more space,now I can’t seem to get myself to unpack…thanks for these tips! It’s not about where the home is but who is in it…and I have plenty to surround myself with!

59. Roberta
    April 9, 2013 / 9:51 am

I like these tips and having a relationship with God makes # 10 even better! In fact He makes everything better!

60. May 1, 2013 / 12:48 pm

Reblogged this on The Rented Home and commented:
    The Happiness Project – 10 ways to be happier in your home.
    I hope this will inspire you and help make your home a happier home.

The Rented Home

61. Luisa
    June 4, 2013 / 7:14 pm

I love the incorporation of and respect for non-believers in that last bullet point. When I’m stressed, I like to think about life from a scientific perspective, to look at the greater scheme of things… that framing is humbling, but serenity-inducing. I don’t have to believe in God to be grateful and happy, and un glad that point was addressed.

62. July 13, 2013 / 3:26 pm

I have learn some just right stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking for revisiting.
    I wonder how so much effort you set to create one of these wonderful informative site.

63. Laura Shanahan Bauer
    July 26, 2013 / 4:52 am

I have the Happiness Project and I have yet to read it! I now know once I have the time, I will read it! Many of these are simple ways to create peace and happiness in your life. Thanks for the reminder that it is the simpler things in life!!!

64. Heather
    August 8, 2013 / 10:00 am

thank you~ helps remind me to stop struggling and start enjoying. life is short.

65. August 12, 2013 / 5:32 pm

Reblogged this on Righteous Tree and commented:
    Ooooooh. Living in a new house with a hectic life, a new husband and a roommate, I need this advice! I love my little home but these tips will keep me feeling blessed and content rather than selfish and resentful.

66. September 9, 2013 / 7:18 am

Love tips four and eight for their reflective and organic importance. We’re spending way too much time fixated to screens and not enough time listening and seeing the people who matter most. Definitely going to try these two out at least.

67. September 9, 2013 / 8:02 am

I have always tidied a room every time I leave it so that when I return it is clean & enjoyable to walk into. The only real cleaning I have left to do every few weeks is dusting, vacuuming & swiffering.

68. September 13, 2013 / 6:10 am

Hi there! Great post, makes me happier just reading it! I wanted to ask you where you got the curtains that you used to the bed canopy in the picture? Or did you make them? I LOVE them and have been searching for ones just like them since I saw this post!

Best,
    Brittany
    meanwhileinbrooklyn.wordpress.com

69. Lorinda
    September 13, 2013 / 8:30 am

It’s nice to say “cal someone for real every day,” but first you have to have a number of friends and relatives who actually pick up phone calls! I have to reserve the idea that a texted message counts, given my dear and near associates…

70. September 26, 2013 / 2:59 pm

I think a great alternative or addition to “call a friend or family member each day” would be to write a letter. My cousins and friends and I used to write letters all the time when we were young, mostly because it was just too expensive for us to call. I remember how special it felt to get one of those letters or to send one out on special paper you bought or created yourself.

71. October 8, 2013 / 1:10 pm

Reblogged this on Love Well Live Well and commented:
    Love these ideas and completely agree! Although with 4 messy kids, I have found number 2 to be quite impossible. My dad can attest to that staying with us this week 🙂 Have a happy day!

72. October 8, 2013 / 1:19 pm

Very nice article, thank you for sharing. I especially like #5 and #9. The ‘Hell, Yeah!’ remark just made me giggle 😉

And for those of us that get caught up in the conundrum of buying things instead of cultivating experiences, now you can have your cake and eat it too! Purchasing things that enhance the experience is the perfect application to this principle.

73. October 21, 2013 / 9:03 am

Reblogged this on Urban Meliad and commented:
    Some ideas worth remembering.

74. November 4, 2013 / 4:53 pm

I really appreciated these ideas. How simple and how powerful! Thank you.

75. November 9, 2013 / 1:25 am

Reblogged this on ThinkGood LLC. and commented:
    When I was a little girl, I used to stay with my grandmother for weekends. Her number one rule was that we needed to make our bed every morning. Her explanation was “if you do that one thing, you will have completed something every day.have always done something for the day.”

76. Cheryl
    December 21, 2013 / 3:57 am

Reblogged this on Walk With Me…. and commented:
    Good advice and worth following!

77. Melanie
    January 15, 2014 / 6:07 am

I sincerely appreciate this awesome list. Thank you.

78. March 14, 2014 / 11:05 am

I found this article on Pinterest and just loved it. I posted it to my blog and also started following you on Bloglovin.

79. April 5, 2014 / 5:48 am

Beautiful post. Thank you for the reminder of the things I’ve lost and need to encorporate! 😉

80. Elly
    May 2, 2014 / 7:40 am

Headed to Somewhere, I came into this via Pinterest, and after reading the post I felt so good and eager to start doing some of the daily things but with a happier attitudes. Clutter is another issue. Very grateful for the post, and also grateful to read Lavonne since there are some things of her story that could have been written by me. (sorry if my english is not good, as long as i can be understood is OK ) I intend to go to some of the sites where the post was reposted and I intend to read the book you mentioned. Muchas gracias!!!

81. Christine
    July 19, 2014 / 3:00 pm

still love the bed making thing…… still doiing it!!! thanx to my mom tooo….. stil trying to teach my teenage daughter the advantages of that!!

82. Pingback: Decor #71
  83. Pingback: Decor #528
  84. Jaime Barbee
    December 30, 2014 / 5:47 am

I can’t tell you how many times I have read this this! Love this and thank you for inspiring! ❤️

85. Dorothy
    January 20, 2015 / 3:35 am

This was inspiring to read, thank you! I have long loved Sarah’s Simple Abundance book. Whenever I find a copy at a thrift store I pick it up and wait to be led to the person it needs to share a home with. It is uncanny how relavent it is on a daily basis. Another favorite is A Different Kind of Luxury by by Andy Couturier. It is not a long book, but the principles were so profound I actually took an entire year studying with it.
    I look forward to gathering & devouring the other books mentioned here.

86. Anonymous
    April 25, 2015 / 7:02 am

I have started making my bed every day. It makes for such a nice end to the day to have a nice made bed to crawl into. I don’t even spend much time or effort making the bed. Smoothing out the covers is about all I need to be happy with it. 🙂

87. Shannyn
    December 14, 2015 / 10:52 am

I needed this.

88. Stephanie
    January 8, 2016 / 11:47 am

Loved this, thank you!

89. Carly
    March 13, 2016 / 7:44 pm

I do some of the stuff already, really great ideas. Some other things that I reccomend are if you’re busy and have a lot to do a to-do list is really great, not only making your bed and keeping stuff uncluttered, keeping your floors vaccumed and swept really helps. If you do follow a spiritual life, My Pinterest has a lot of stuff for Christians, and if you’re not Christian, I am starting a board on inspirational quotes that will make you feel good. My Pinterest is (Carly Thorpe) please follow me. Xoxo, Carly

90. henk fokkema
    May 15, 2016 / 7:22 am

Ik vind het een goed idee om jr leven in controle te houden.
    In het bijzonder de tip om je lakens te wassen en je matras te STOFZUIGEN voordat je het omdraait!
    Bedankt.